Confessions of an INFJ

I am an INFJ. To many people that might not make any sense whatsoever. It just sounds like some random letters. What do they mean? The answer is actually rather simple. The “I” stands for “Introvert” and is the answer to the question “Where do you prefer to focus your attention and get your energy?”. I regain my energy by doing things I love by myself like talking a walk or photography. I'd rather read a book than go to a party. The “N” stands for “iNtuition”, since the “I” was already taken, and is the answer to the question “How do you prefer to take in information?”. I enjoy thinking of the big picture and when I get a hunch about something, it's usually correct. It's almost like having a sixth sense. The “F” stands for “Feeling” and answers the question “How do you make decisions?”. I'm extremely empathetic as well as sympathetic practically making compassion my super power. While I may be a true Introvert at heart, I can be confused for being an Extravert because of my love for people. Finally, the “J” stands for “Judging” and is the answer to the question “How do you deal with the outer world?”. This has nothing to do with being judgmental, it simply means I like to be organised. This can include things like making lists for my lists or planning my holiday vacations five years in advance. All together this makes my type the rarest in the world at a whopping total of 1%. Hooray for unique individuality!

Sometimes people switch personalities as they grow. If you give a teenager the Myers-Briggs Personality Type test and they come up with a result such as ESTP, they may change over the next 20 years into an INTP. I've taken a watered-down version of the MBPT test twice and recieved INFJ both times. Four years isn't really long enough to change, though. The first time I took it I had to try and not overthink every question. If you overthink the questions, you might answer what you wish you were like and then you would get an incorrect type that sounds nothing like you. After that, I didn't take it again until about four years later so by then I had already forgotten my answers to the questions, but it was easier to go with my gut instinct and I got through the test much faster. I suppose after having recieved a type and worked to develop my strengths and work around my weaknesses, I had a better idea of who I was while I was answering questions. 

Personally, I love being an INFJ. I guess when the preference of reading over partying is built into your personality, it's hard not to love it. However, even the sun becomes concealed behind clouds and being an INFJ not always so peachy. Something I deal with is procrastination. This isn't something I mean to do. Then again, no one ever means to, do they? An attribute of an Introvert is that writing down our thoughts is far easier than talking about them. Because we are always in our heads and thinking thoughts through over and over again, we have many inspirations and creative juices that contribute to amazing works of art. Many Introverts become authors because of this. Sounds amazing, right? As much as I love writing, sometimes having so many thoughts at once can hinder our ability to find a starting place and that, in my opinion, can make writing almost unbearable. Our intuition side wants to explore ideas and opportunities but our judging side wants to make decisions and get things done. This is especially frustrating because, in all honesty, our utmost intent is to be productive. That's one of the reasons I love photography. With today's technology I can grab my camera, head outside, and if I see inspiration every where, I don't have to worry about where to start. I just point and shoot and let things unfold. My memory card holds hundreds of pictures and I don't have to worry whether or not I got the shot until I put them on my computer. I can immerse myself in inspiration and it fills my happiness cup to the brim.

As an Introverted student, there are things that the schools of today do that ruffle my feathers. I don't care much for working in groups. Because I'm in my head so much and I have so many thoughts, I like being able to take responsibility of my assignments and have free creative control. Working with other people means that whatever I come up with has to be mixed in with other ideas that maybe I don't care for as much. Then the work isn't completely mine and I don't feel as happy with it. However, I do like required reading because it gives me a reason to shut down for awhile and recharge inside of myself. Plus, it makes for a great excuse for getting out of party invitations.  

“Yes, I'm super stoked that you're 21 now but I can't come to your mixer at that club because I have reading for school. In an effort to make up for my absence, here is a $20. Enjoy!”

Developing your personality type is a lifelong journey. As you grow you may find you feel more out of tune with what used to bring you energy or develop interests in things you used to avoid like the plague. Perhaps once you've recieved a personality type and you start researching about it you find that some of your ways of life make more sense than you originally thought they did. So, read a book; go to that all-nighter rage with your friends. You know what brings you energy and joy, so just be you!

post signature

Comments

  1. Hey, idk if my comment came through...I wanted to tell you that this post is really interesting, and that is awesome that you know your type/about MBTI - not many people do. I love it MBTI/Myers-Briggs, and I've learned a lot about it, because I think it's so interesting! I'm an INFP - you actually sound like you could possibly be an INFP, too. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenna, MBTI is really fascinating! I wish more people knew about and understood it. Judging types tend to prefer structure and organisation. They like planning things out as far in advance as they can, and they enjoy making lists. Percieving types tend to prefer spontaneity and flexibility; It's far easier for them to go where the wind blows them. When I look at the differences between the two, I find that I lean heavily towards the Judging personality. I like structure, making lists, and planning ahead.

      This was actually a paper I wrote for my English class last semester and we were told to touch on certain topics that had to do with how our personality types mixed with being a student and doing work so I wasn't able to touch nearly on everything I would've loved to talk about. I'd love to delve in deeper into what each of the types mean, but that would be a very long post :) Maybe I'll do a series.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Three Ghosts of Christmas: Past

Goodbye 2015, Hello 2016

Be a Hippie for Christ