A Poem of Thankfulness

Back when I was around 14 years old, I started, and mostly completed, a poem. I don't typically write poems, I tend to get writer's block, but this one just flowed right out of my pencil. I started with the idea of "if you woke up tomorrow and only had what you thanked God for, how different would your life be?" and thus, this poem was born. I stored it away for the next five years until my 19 year old self found it and added one more verse to it. Now I have the completed version for you! In the spirit of Thanksgiving (even if it's a few days late), here is my poem of thankfulness. Enjoy :)

I thank God for my bedroom,
and for my comfy bed;
for blankets that can keep me warm,
and pillows for my head.

I thank God for these books to read,
and thoughts to fill my mind;
for memories that work well
so I don't leave things behind.

I thank God for life's ups and downs
'cause without them, life's dull.
When sun shines full of merriment,
when rain falls on my skull.

I thank God for my brunette locks,
and big brown eyes to match.
I don't mind what some may think, 
God finds me quite the catch!

I thank God for my family
who love me every day;
and for my friends around me
who share my quirky ways.

I thank God for the passions
that blaze within my heart.
Interests, talents, and the skills
that drove me from the start.

I thank God for life's lullabies,
for songs to play and sing.
I use them to express myself
and to praise my Holy King.

If you woke up tomorrow
with only things you thanked God for,
how might life be different
from the way it was before?

~Breanna Sundet

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!


post signature

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Three Ghosts of Christmas: Past

Goodbye 2015, Hello 2016

Be a Hippie for Christ